October 5, 2015

A SATURDAY AT GRAINGER MARKET



This past Saturday I took a walk with a flatmate to Grainger Market here in Newcastle. I have walked past it a few times running other errands with the thought that I need to pop in at a decent time when the shops are not about to close so when Celete asked me if I wanted to go with her on Saturday to check it out I replied to her text immediately with a big YES. 






The market is completely indoors, the entryways almost look like alleys which makes it easy to walk by. The market has been around since 1835 and when you walk through it you feel like you've slipped back in time a little bit. It was busy on Saturday but honestly I could have spent the entire day there just wandering, watching, and tasting yummy things. 



The market is full of great shops, fresh markets, butchers, bakers and candlestick makers (literally). We walked around and got some grocery shopping done for the week and got some great deals. and then had a great little lunch where I had my first scone with clotted cream and jam. One does not simply use words to describe how delicious it was.



Celete said a girl in her program told her that her flatmates only shop at Grainger and after spending an afternoon there I can see why, maybe it's the prices but I think it is the charm of the place. Call me a romantic but I will be going back many times over.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment