June 4, 2016

ALL RHODES LEAD TO GREECE


Well it is officially summer for me, which means nothing because I am in the midst of writing my dissertation but I did get to take a week long vacation last week. Me and two of my friends went to Rhodes, one of the larger Greek Islands. Greece is actually made up of about a thousand islands with about 200 of them being inhabited. We found a good flight and a cheap place to stay and went for it.

We stayed in Faliraki, in cute little place about 15 minutes walk from Faliraki Beach. Stavris Studios worked for us, it had a small kitchenette so we could get some food to store during or trip. To be honest Faliraki  reminded me of Myrtle Beach, SC. It is a beach town with a lot of shops and people from everywhere. I met people from Germany, Albania, the UK, Nigeria and heard accents from several more. That part of Greece didn't really feel "Greek" in some ways it is losing some of its tradition. With that said I ate lots of great Greek food and had several free shots of Ouzo and all the Gelato a girl can dream of. Greece is pretty cheap in comparison to some of the other cities I have been to, I ate gyro wraps several times for less than 2 Euro. My favorite dinner was at a tapas type place; me and my friends ordered a few plates to shares. All together we paid less than 10 each AND I got a vat of wine! SUCCESS! 

My trip was a good mix of site seeing and beach days. Old Town Rodos was beautiful we actually spent two entire days there. You can also get tickets for any of the island hopping ships and glass bottom boat tours from Rodos. We decided to do a day out to Symi island which was lovely and I would recommend it. Another must see is Lindos and the Acropolis plus its beautiful beaches and St. Paul's Bay. You will just have to look at the pictures because words cannot express how pretty it was. The Acropolis is at the top of a mountain essentially so make sure to wear good shoes and bring lots of water. We took the buses to get around the island which weren't too bad and fairly cheap but I think next time I would just rent a car, or a vespa so we could explore a few more places. I will stop yammering now and let the pictures speak for themselves, enjoy and vlog to come! 

















No comments:

Post a Comment